Monday, March 22, 2010

Alone I Walk, Together We'll Run

"Therefore... let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." - Hebrews 12:1

Today I went jogging with my sister. I am not a runner. Between asthma and bad ankles it just never seemed like a good fit :p But every now and then I forget and will try a mile or two. My fifteen year old sister, Candice, had been jogging for the past few weeks and she kept talking about this awesome route that she and her friend had been jogging. I was inspired. And when I'm inspired I have to do something... so we decided to go running together :D

1/2 mile... I'm feelin' good!
1 mile... Whew, I got this.
1 1/2 miles... Why did she pick the route with the most HILLS!?
2 miles... So this is what dying feels like =p

I was not doing well. In fact, I was pretty sure I was dying at 2 miles. The route she had planned was 5 miles long! No shortcuts. No turning back. 5 MILES.

As I looked ahead, half way up the hill, I realized that Candice was almost to the top. At that point something inside of me snapped. I just gave up. I had been telling myself for the last mile to just push on. I was even listening to worship music on my ipod with lyrics like "I'm chasing after Jesus" and "We are gonna run this race for the weak" but that didn't help either! (cheesy I know...) Seeing her (my LITTLE sister for goodness sake!) so far ahead of me was just so disheartening. After a minute or so, she looked back and saw that I was reeeeally far behind her and walking. She turned around and ran back to see what was going on. I told her that I wasn't doing well and that I didn't think I could go the rest of the way, so I was going to turn around. She wouldn't hear about it! She gave me some encouragement and then I started jogging again. Again, she got ahead of me. Again, I started to walk. Finally, she came back and was like, "Seriously, are you ok?" (silly question... we were working on the third mile, NO! I was NOT OK!!!!) I told her how exhausted I was, how much pain I was in, yada yada yada. Her answer? "You CAN do this. I'll stay with you. Lets set goals, like to make it to that stoplight, and then once we get there we can set new ones, ok? You got this!" I was amazed at her patience. I was grateful for her sweet words when I was expecting something more like, "You are soooo lame." As we jogged (and sometimes walked) the rest of the way together there were moments when I wanted to give up, but whenever I did I would say to her, "Candice, I'm not feeling good... I don't know if I can make it!" All she needed to say was, "Yes you can. I'm here for you. Press on!" and for the most part, I would get a new burst of energy and keep jogging towards the next goal. Then it hit me. This is such a great picture of the Christian walk and community!

The Bible often compares our spiritual journey to a race or exercising, and today I saw how realistic this is! Running is hard... and, especially when you haven't done it before, running alone can be even harder. In fact, when breathing becomes difficult and your legs feel like lead, only the very disciplined can keep on keepin' on. That is why having a partner is so helpful- they can give you the encouragement you need and the accountability to keep running even when it gets tough. And all this is true in spiritual terms! The spiritual journey can get tough. REALLY tough. And few can handle the pressures alone. Because of this, many people give up... they start walking, or even turn around. That is why community is so key to the Christian walk. We NEED each other to build one another up when we need the encouragement, to hold one another up when we think we are going to fall. We can run so much farther with brothers and sisters in Christ encouraging us to keep up the good fight!

I wouldn't have finished the 5 miles today if I didn't have Candice there to push me to my physical limits. I wouldn't be where I'm at spiritually if certain people hadn't been a part of my life to push me to my spiritual limits. Thanks to Candice, I have set the goal to run a 10k some time within the next 2 months, and she is going to help me and be the support I need. Thanks to Jesus, I will keep on running the spiritual "race marked out" for me with perseverance. But not alone. I will stand along side my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ as we all continue to pursue the path or righteousness with undivided hearts! Praise the Lord for the great blessings he has given us in the Body of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty Page Layout

_ *****************************************************************************