Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Change of Plans

I came to China with very few expectations… Everyone’s stories were so different and unique! One of the comments I kept hearing over and over again was that I would be semi-sick of camp by the fourth week because of the tedious repetition. So, I came to China expecting each week to go more or less than same without many differences. Sure, there would be problems and obstacles to overcome, but the differences would still be within the mold of what camp was “supposed” to look like. Yet as I have begun yet another abnormal week of camp, I am starting to feel that I will not have time to get bored with any routine as each week of camp has proven to be anything BUT repetitive or monotonous.
As anybody who has been reading my updates knows, my first week of camp was very special and out-of-the-ordinary because of Fanfan. That was such a wonderful experience, but it certainly didn’t fit my or anyone else’s idea of what camp looks like. Now this week the BMH Xi’an camp team was confronted with another complication. Shilo, one of the translators, was unhappy to be paired up with Natalie, a volunteer, due to the fact that Natalie is fluent in Chinese. She asked to be given another partner in hopes of being able to practice her translating skills. This was just not possible due to the reality that everyone had already been paired and was adjusting to their assigned family groups. Sam decided that the next option was to make Natalie staff for the week and to choose one of the foreign staff to replace her. After talking to Valerie, Kait, Patti, and I, Sam reached the conclusion that it would be best for me to take on the role of volunteer and join Bambi (the orphan girl) and Shiloh’s family group. This was all decided Monday night, so I officially became Bambi’s volunteer this morning.
Bambi is a beautiful, sweet girl and is very obedient, but she is exceedingly shy and often pretends to not understand what Shiloh is saying to her. She didn’t say a single thing to me all morning! She was openly affectionate with hugs and would hold my hand, but no words. I was slightly discouraged after seeing her jabber away in clear, precise Chinese with the other orphans, but her behavior is all too common in children with attachment disorder. I have realized that she uses her speech as a means to control the relationships around her and to keep those whom she is unfamiliar with at a distance. She continued with her silent ways throughout the afternoon, but after a trip to the swimming pool she looked at me and said, “Jei jei,” which means big sister. She said a few more phrases to me throughout the evening, and each one was like a jewel. I can feel a bond growing between us that I am sure will only grow stronger during the next three days! I am so thankful to God for giving me this opportunity to be a ray of sunshine in her regularly dark world.
This week is not what I planned it to be, but God is in control and, as always, He has a better plan. Rather than distancing myself from the children and working solely with the translators as Translator Coordinator for all four weeks the Lord has provided me with heaps of opportunities to show love to His parentless children. I am quite certain that I will not feel that any of the next three weeks are repetitive as God is giving me a new and fresh perspective at each camp!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda you are amazing! I love the way you write, how you express your heart and yet always bring your experiences back to God and how He is the one beautifully painting each picture you are describing. I look so forward to hearing from you, hearing how God is using you and others to love these precious orphans. It may seem repetitive at times, but I am sure these kids will NEVER forget your love and kindness towards them. They will always remember how you loved them unconditionally. And how your brought them the Gospel. We are praying for you guys. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Love Mrs. Limon

    ReplyDelete

Pretty Page Layout

_ *****************************************************************************